Author Topic: Swimming  (Read 42387 times)

Honeypiccolo

• View Profile
Swimming
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:06:08 AM »
Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on swimming. The doctor says its ok, just make sure we cream the baby up before hand and wash off as soon as possible afterwards.

Any other thoughts?  I really don't want to make his eczema worse.

Andrea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Swimming
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 09:41:51 PM »
Just moved this into general

I've not tried it, I've herd mixed things, and some people say it helps - I think chlorine can reduce bacteria on the skin.  Others say it's drying, like your Dr says lots of cream will help. ;D

Let me know if you go :)

liamsmummy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:04:50 PM »
I stopped taking Liam swimming when his eczema started and then I thought one day a just going to take the plunge and take him and see what happens as he loved going so much. It does not seem to affect him whatsoever and he really really loves going. We have been going sometimes 3 times a week. I was really cautious at first and used a barrier type cream to keep the water off his skin but to be totally honest only did it for the first few times and then forgot :-[. It really made no difference. When we went to centre parcs I swear that Liam went in the pool with really bad eczema on his cheeks and came out with out it :o.  It probably does depend on each child as to how they react but my own way of thinking at the moment is that I am just going to do as normal things as possible and try to get away with as much as we can to keep his life as normal as possible.
Liam wears a little suit with trunks and a t shirt when he is swimming just to stop people staring at him!  I really hope that swimming is ok for you too and that you can enjoy it as much as we do.

lara53

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »
Cayden is now 3 and has outgrown the worst of his skin problems, but I do find that he needs moisturising after swimming and also I re-do it before he goes to bed that evening too.