Author Topic: Keeping towels soft  (Read 11491 times)

2itchykids

• View Profile
Keeping towels soft
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »
Hey all

I have been using eco balls and surecare for washing. And no softener but my towels are like stiff cardboard and sandpaper. And obviously on the babys skin this is not great as she is so sensitive it is like wrapping her in sandpaper :o

How do you help keep your towels a bit softer? ???

Thanks for any light you can shed
bX

omari_mum

• View Profile
Re: Keeping towels soft
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
Hi!

Just a quick reply ... gotta dash ...

Use white vinegar (about 1/2 cup per wash load).  It does a better job than fabric softener and clothes come out smelling of nothing really ... just clean and fresh.

The Dri-Pak website has lots of tips on how to clean without chemicals:
http://www.dri-pak.co.uk/tips-and-instructions.html

Hope this helps,

Rachel

2itchykids

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:05:58 PM »
Thanks Rachel. That is really helpful :D

Hope you're doing ok today.
Bx

Andrea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:54:34 AM »
Becky, we found that once we had moved from detergent to soap flakes our towels became softer than using detergent and softener.

I've also used vinegar too and that dose help. 

I had been given a hooded towel as a new baby gift for Josh, and we kept this especially for him - after I'd washed it I'd rub it together to soften the fibers.

2itchykids

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »
great. thanks Andrea.
Do you only use soap flakes now? Or surecare too?
I bought some liquid soap flakes and also the magno balls. Only trouble is i can't seem to get the grease out of the clothes. I also bought Sure care too. now i'm not sure which to use! :o ;D

And the grease really makes the dirt stick to the clothes. The baby looks like a grubby little urchin :D
Just bought an industrial sized bottle of white vinegar today in Tesco.

Also someone told me you have to put caustic soda down the plughole every 2 months if you're using Epaderm baths as it will block the drains. I am a real eco warrior so this makes me shudder a bit.

Hoping i can wean the baby off the Epaderm baths soon.

What do you use in the bath out of interest?
The 3 yr old incidently gets hives with the Epaderm
Bx

Andrea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
We use soda crystals with the soap flakes, it helps to soften the water and cut through the grease a bit. 
I’m also using the violets soap powder which seems to clean fine and rinse well.

On obvious grease stains from food I use the gal soap which I think is fantastic :D

I admit it's not so effective as detergent for really grubby washing, I'm going to try some laundry whitener soon, the violets one for my white washes so I'll let you know how that goes. 

BabySkincareGuru

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »
Hi all,

I know this post is old, but I want to add to this thread as bathing is a popular topic in the field of eczema treatment at the moment so if anyone finds this forum in search of bathing advice then hopefully this will help!

Water can be damaging to your baby's skin. Here are some common mistakes that parents with babies suffering from eczema make:

• Bathing for too long
  • Bathing in water that is too hot
  • Bathing too frequently
  • Towelling their baby too vigorously after bathing

Remember: the skin is a delicate mechanism and one that is easily damaged. Water increases the risk of damage to your baby's skin so spend less time in water! Also, your baby's skin is fragile after bathing so yes - use a soft towel but also remember to towel your baby delicately using a dabbing technique over patches of visible eczema.

Don.