Author Topic: Plaques  (Read 2510 times)

carlitamay84

• View Profile
Plaques
« on: May 14, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »
hi I'm Carley and have been battling my sons eczema since 5months. He will be 12 months in two weeks time and we are still awaiting an appointment at St Mary for a dermatologist and allergy testing appointment.

My question is this:

Is there anything other than steroids that could work on eczema patches once they become hard plaques?
I've managed to control his flares up with a mixture of emu oil, aveeno Shea butter products and emollients in the bath but I can't seems to get rid of the plaques that have formed.

Strong steroids have stopped them getting bigger I think?

But me moisturising him has at least controlled the itch and softened them and I'm now wondering are they going to scar? Some are the size of two pence pieces :(

Andrea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Plaques
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »
Hello Carley,

Where are the Plaques?   Are they hard and dry?  Or Inflamed?  Weepy?

carlitamay84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 11:03:39 AM »
Hi

Well my son is black.

The plaques look darker than his skin. They are mostly on his back, chest and belly. One completely covers his nipple.

The are hard, dry and have what look like tiny dots/bumps inside each patch.

However since writing this post I have been bathing him in his cradle cap shampoo which has saylic acid, coconut oil and coal tar in it. And moisturising him straight after with his Aveeno.

The plaques seem to be shrinking and some are now flat whereas before they were raised. The Aveeno also makes them very soft and smooth.

But I'm just worried about his nipple and his lower back were the plaques are biggest. I don't want to continue the potent steroid he was prescribed as it doesn't seem to be doing anything anyway.

Any other suggestions or knowledge about this would be great I don't want him to scar :(

Andrea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »
Thanks for replying Carly,  what has your Dr said about them?  Normally the kinds of eczema that can cause skin plaques are less common in infants, it sounds good that they are shrinking.  

It sounds similar to this http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/182794.php   I have known it in Adults but not in very small children that's why I wondered what your Dr had said about it.  Would you mind if I asked Lindsey Miller on your behalf?   She is the Hope's relief rep for the UK, and is also a herbalist there is some information on her here  http://itchybaby.co.uk/itchyforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b5c1d65fd526d4889bf641a42f7b5aff&topic=242.0

I know hopes relief is recommended for most skin complaints and safe for small children, I would just like to ask her if she has any more information or advise for you.  

carlitamay84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »
Hi thank you for this. The GP's I have seen have all just flat out said 'it's baby eczema he will grow out of it here have some more steroids on repeat prescription' the more I complain the bigger the steroid percentage gets. He is now on a potent level of steroids but it still does nothing and I don't want to go back for even more.  I'd rather just keep him comfortable and moisturised.

I bought him scratch sleeves but he already has 8 teeth so ripped them to shreds biting at them every night. It kinda of made me and my husband laugh but at the same time annoyed because they are not cheap.

Please feel free to talk to Lindsey I would appreciate it very much.

Andrea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 08:13:21 PM »
Hello Carley,   

I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you...   I'm a little toddler frazzled and am struggling to keep on top of anything at the moment.   

I spoke to Lindsey, she wasn't confident about recommending anything without seeing the skin but she did tell me the Hope's intensive relief cream is suitable for eczema and psoriasis. 

I'm just wondering how you are getting on?    I'm so sorry for not getting back to you sooner...   my 3rd baby is now 17mths is a wreckless high speed bundle of chaos and I now spend most of my days keeping him out of trouble.   

carlitamay84

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 11:50:32 AM »
Hi we are getting on just fine thank you. I took lots of information from here and other places and finally I've either got it under control or he is growing out of it?
The plaques have gone flat and have left hyper pigmentation but I'm hoping with more moisturising and perhaps some vitamin E they will soon fade.
I have switched the whole family to SURCARE non bio.
He just turned one years old 1st June and I made sure everyone bought him organic cotton clothes or at least clothes that are 100% cotton. I made sure to wash everything before he wore it (even though it meant taking the loving iron shape out of them, hehe I can't iron as it is let alone tiny baby clothes lol).
I finally found a moisturiser that works for him which is double base it sinks in nicely but I still alternate with Aveeno as this leaves his skin so soft and smooth.
He always used to cry when I would take him out the bath after 10 minutes and I came to realise that the bath was the most relief he would get so now he stays in the bath up to 30 minutes and if the water gets too cold I have to top it up because he really loves being in there.
We had a hospital appointment at one one point as the GP was very alarmed at his raised lesions so reffered us to a hospital who gave us extra strength steroids and have now referred us to a dermatologist but we are still waiting for a dermatology appointment and we are still waiting for his allergy appointment *sigh* but I'm just glad his skin is looking and feeling so much better and I no longer cry or get upset when looking at my baby's skin :)
However I do wonder if the summer has anything to do with his skin getting better? As some say it gets better in summer but some say worse? I don't know. Just hope it doesn't go back to huge lumps all over again :/
Sorry for the loooong text. Thank you and everyone on here for so much information. It's a brilliant source of info.